Illinois-based Fenwal Blood Technologies, Inc. is a pioneer and global leader in the development of products that improve the safety and availability of blood. The company began in 1949 and developed the first flexible, disposable container for blood collection. Today, Fenwal continues to be a world leader in innovations that advance the practice of blood transfusion and help shape the practice of transfusion medicine, making life-saving blood therapies available to the medical professionals and patients worldwide.
- Scaling Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, and Office Communication Server
- Minimizing downtime
- Improving data center manageability
- Barracuda Load Balancer ADC 340
- Scaled Exchange, SharePoint, and Office communication Server to support 6,000+ users
- Implemented High Availability cluster
- Completed deployment in only a few hours
Building a Highly Available and Scalable Microsoft Solution
At the heart of Fenwal’s productivity and communication infrastructure are Microsoft communication and productivity platforms. These platforms facilitate day-to-day knowledge sharing, communication, and collaboration among Fenwal’s global employees. Fenwal decided to build a new data center from the ground up to keep pace with the continued market success and growth of its life saving blood technologies.
“Having to support more than 6,000 global users required us to scale our Exchange, SharePoint, and Office Communication Server (OCS) infrastructure, as well as provide around the clock uptime,” said Darryl Kegg, server engineering manager at Fenwal. The key benefit of this project was the unique opportunity to build a solution based on best-in-class hardware and software applications that efficiently solves the organization’s needs. The challenge of this project was selecting the right mix of technology platforms that maximizes performance and minimizes costs.
- Darryl Kegg, Server Engineering Manager
Solution: Barracuda Model 340 Load Balancers
Fenwal was an existing Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall customer and was extremely pleased with its value, performance, and ease of use. When they realized a load balancing platform was necessary to scale their Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, and Office Communication Server infrastructure, they immediately turned to Barracuda Networks.
“We chose Barracuda Load Balancer ADCs because of their ease of use and industry best price-toperformance,” said Kegg. “The fact that the Barracuda Load Balancer ADCs are certified by Microsoft for Exchange and Office Communication Server load balancing made it an easy choice for us.”
Kegg and his team decided to deploy three Barracuda Load Balancer ADC 340s to support the organization’s needs. The Fenwal server engineering team deployed two Barracuda Load Balancer ADC 340s in a high availability (HA) pair to distribute traffic to internal networks and an additional Barracuda Load Balancer ADC in the DMZ to load balance incoming traffic. In a short amount of time, Kegg’s team was able to configure:
- Microsoft Exchange: Incoming SMTP, Outlook Web Access (OWA), Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) and Exchange ActiveSync traffic all handled by both, the DMZ Barracuda Load Balancer ADC and the internal HA pair. POP3 traffic is handled exclusively by the internal HA pair.
- Office Communication Server: Web conferencing, AV conferencing, HTTPS, MTLS, TLS, SIP services are load balanced by the internal Barracuda Load Balancer ADC HA cluster.
- SharePoint: All SharePoint traffic is load balanced on the internal Barracuda Load Balancer ADC HA cluster.
With this setup, Fenwal easily handles more than 10,000 SharePoint and Exchange requests per hour. It also handles more than 1,000 OCS requests.
“We’re extremely pleased with our Barracuda Load Balancer ADCs and we are planning to add additional Barracuda Load Balancer ADCs in our local data center for high availability as well as to build out our international data center with Barracuda Load Balancer ADCs."
Barracuda en quelques mots
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organizations worldwide, Barracuda Networks has developed a global reputation as the go-to leader for powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company’s proven customercentric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscriptionbased IT solutions for security and storage. For additional information, please visit http://fr.barracuda.com or follow us on Twitter@barracuda.
About the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC
Designed for today’s high-traffic data centers, the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC is a high-performance application delivery controller that combines application acceleration, availability, and control with advanced security capabilities. Deployed by thousands of organizations worldwide, the Barracuda Load Balancer ADC is a robust, proven solution that manages and secures billions of application transactions daily. It’s available as a multiport platform with fiber and copper network interfaces, as well as a virtual appliance.
Barracuda Load Balancer ADC Fast Facts
- Multiport platform with 1 G & 10 G fiber/copper NICs
- Advanced L4/L7 load balancing
- Équilibrage de charge global entre serveurs
- Comprehensive attack protection and Data Loss Prevention
- Available as a virtual appliance
To learn more about Barracuda Load Balancer ADC solutions or to request a free 30-day evaluation unit, please call us today at 1-888-268-4772, 1-408-342-5400 (outside North America), or visit fr.barracuda.com/adc.