Exchange Online Protection (EOP), a cloud-based email filtering service that helps protect organizations against spam and malware, is an option for both Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange 2013. EOP replaced Microsoft’s Forefront security program, although the basic code has barely changed from the Forefront security offered with Exchange 2010. With EOP, Microsoft added email policy management and enabled the product to work bi-directionally, meaning EOP also provides a level of data loss prevention for Exchange 2013 and Office 365 users.
EOP is considered a baseline level of protection. It includes only basic features and focuses on the Connection Management layers, which can typically catch about 95% of spam emails. It doesn’t focus on content examination, which means spear phishing attempts are not caught. For companies wanting more rigorous security, Microsoft offers an optional security service called Exchange Online Advanced Threat Protection (ATP), which adds content analysis, including the ability to which routes messages and attachments without a known virus/malware signature to a special hypervisor environment where it uses machine learning and behavior analysis to detect any malicious intent.
Why companies look to enhance Office 365 security
With built-in EOP limitations, and the potential overkill of optional ATP features for many organizations, companies are looking at thirdparty solutions. In addition to being more cost-effective than Microsoft’s optional security services, many companies are wary of having to rebuild their ‘allow and block’ lists. These lists of trusted and blocked senders have been constructed over time, and since no easy import facility exists, “false positives” can plague IT organizations and require considerable time to rectify. Finally, adding third party security incorporates yet another layer of email security management, which is important in a world where online threats are always increasing.
Why companies choose Barracuda for Email Security
Barracuda offers a choice of solutions and a choice of deployments to fit the varying security needs and infrastructures of any organization.
Barracuda’s spam filters and email security offerings are well-known in the industry; we continue to outsell all competitors in this segment. Barracuda products include both connection management and content scanning techniques to provide a broad, multi-level degree of protection at a compelling price point. The user interface for Barracuda is very straightforward, allowing one-click management of emails, which should be whitelisted or reported. Barracuda’s numerous reporting features allow you to easily tailor your email filters to fit your organization and accommodate the needs of individual users.
Barracuda’s Email Security Solutions provide the following key benefits:
- Blocks email threats including spam, viruses, malware, phishing attempts, DoS attacks, and undelivered or unsecured email.
- Leverages Barracuda Central, a 24/7 advanced security operations center that works continuously to monitor and block the latest Internet threats.
- Built-in email encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) policies for outgoing mail, using AES with 256-bit keys to encrypt emails (email traffic between sites is encrypted via SMTP over TLS).
- Quarantines, exception lists, and blocked sender lists can be defined on a per-user or per-organization basis.
- Email spooling is provided in situations where the primary email server is disrupted or fails, including Exchange Online (Office 365).
- Utilizes cloud-based management to gain a global view of all installed devices as well as centrally manage policies and configurations; the Barracuda Cloud Protection Layer can be leveraged to provide a hybrid configuration for scanning incoming email.
- Includes extensive built-in ‘allow and block’ lists, and enabling easy creation of additional lists at any level, including per-user.
- Bulk emails and set policies based on the type of email that is being sent. Marketing emails can be blocked from a retail organization; however, transactional emails can still be received.
- Scans outbound, relayed mail for RBL checks, rate control, whitelist/blacklist, Intent, virus scanning, fingerprinting, attachment filtering, spam score, bayesian analysis and block regular expressions.
Option #1: Barracuda Email Security Service
For an organization looking for subscription-based email security, Barracuda Email Security Service provides complete email security service at a compelling price than Microsoft’s ATP. Only a security leader like Barracuda can offer such a highly proficient level of ATP. Barracuda Email Security Service is a cloud-based email filtering solution—you license it per-user on an annual basis. If you want to eliminate on-site infrastructure, Barracuda Email Security Service is the option for you.
Option #2: Barracuda Email Security Gateway
Barracuda Email Security Gateway is among the market’s most popular email filtering appliances. Full control is provided over all of the firewall’s filtering settings, and Barracuda’s Cloud Control allows management of additional Barracuda devices from a single “pane of glass” interface.
Barracuda Email Security Gateways provide cost-savings for customers willing to manage their own email filters, and Barracuda’s simplified setup and configuration has most customers up and running in minutes. Appliances deployed on-premises (either physical or virtual) can also be deployed in a public cloud environment such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and VMware vCloud Air.
Barracuda Instant Replacement coverage ensures a “spare-in-the-air” for all on-premises deployments, and users are provided with nextgeneration replacements after four years of continuous Instant Replacement and Energize Updates coverage.
Why companies choose Barracuda
Barracuda’s email security solutions provide more robust protection than a baseline EOP solution that is optional in Microsoft Exchange 2013 and Office 365, and are more cost-effective compared to Microsoft’s optional ATP.
Nearly a quarter of a million companies rely on the Barracuda for online security—and those sites all actively report new threats on a 24- hour basis, seven days a week. Data collected at Barracuda Central is analyzed and immediately utilized in Barracuda Real-Time Protection to create definitions for automatic Energize Updates, which deliver protections against previously unknown threats within minutes of their discovery.
Learn more at Barracuda by contacting us or one of our partners.
About Barracuda Networks, Inc.
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organizations worldwide, Barracuda Networks has developed a global reputation as the go-to leader for powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company’s proven customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions for security and data protection. For additional information, please visit fr.barracuda.com.