Founded in 1984, Viborel Distribuiçao is a distributor of Portuguese drinks that delivers daily to consumers throughout the country legendary brands such as Cartuxa, Bacalhôa, Aliança, Tapada do Barão, Quinta do Carmo, Laurent-Perrier, Cachaça 51, Whyte & Mackay, Murganheira, Raposeira, Favaios or Corona. In an increasingly complex, competitive and restrictive business world, to celebrate 30 years of existence is a feat. Viborel’s path, not surprisingly, has been plagued by ups and downs, but what has never changed is the company’s commitment to new technologies as a driver of progress, to constantly improve.
- Viborel Distribuiçao, S.A.
- Headquartered in Carnaxide (Oeiras, Portugal)
- 80 employees
- To create a new backup system that eliminates human intervention.
- To ensure date is safeguarded in a secure, remote place.
- To be able to prioritize the service, manage availability, and control the traffic of the different applications.
- To create a VPN environment in order to centrally manage traffic.
- Backup Server 390
- FileSafe® Cloud backup
- A robust, reliable, and secure backup with no human intervention required.
- Backups now are monitored and have a selected schedule.
- The data is stored locally and replicated in the cloud, ensuring full recovery in case of disaster.
- Greater traffic control.
Viborel’s technical team had been managing the backup of company information with a tape system that had had glitches (abnormalities in the drive, corrupted tapes, etc.) for some time. In addition, the system was no longer under warranty; to repair or replace it would have been very costly.
On the other hand, backups were performed manually every day, so it was necessary to allocate resources to a task that sometimes was even forgotten. As if that weren’t enough, the tapes were also stored in the same location as the server, in spite of the risk this entailed in case of system failure or disaster.
“We felt the need for a backup system that eliminated human intervention and that would ensure the safeguarding of information in a location outside the company,” explains Luis Rapoula, Finance Manager at Viborel Distribuiçao.
A Trusted Partner for an Ambitious Project
In May 2012, Viborel’s staff decided to update and modernize their backup systems. To do so, they would rely on a well-known Portuguese supplier, Alvo, which submitted its proposal that same month. An agreement was soon reached to begin implementing the project in just over a week.
The deciding factor was the efficiency behind the Barracuda Backup: a complete cloud-integrated solution for protecting physical and virtual environments that is simple to deploy, easy to manage, and provides unlimited cloud storage and the confidence that Alvo would propose the best and most suitable technology available in the market.
The Solution: On-site, Remote, and Cloud Backup, Made Simple
The project involved the implementation of Cloud FileSafe, a hybrid backup solution developed by Alvo, consisting of the following elements:
- Barracuda environments Backup Server 390. A powerful backup system with a capacity of up to 1 TB. Installed at Viborel’s headquarters, this system performs daily backups automatically, either of the management software (an ERP solution by Primavera) or of the key work documents.
- Cloud Hosting, with a subscription of 200 GB on Barracuda servers. Backup Server performs weekly backups to the cloud of all the information selected by Viborel. Data is also replicated in three secure datacenters.
- Online monitoring. The management of data backup is performed through a web portal, from which it is possible to carry out data recovery, consult reports and periodic statistics, and define alerts.
- Luis Rapoula, Finance Manager, Viborel Distribuiçao
The implementation of this solution based on Barracuda Backup has proved to be highly beneficial. Thanks to Cloud FileSafe®, Viborel can rely on backups being performed automatically. They are monitored and have a selected schedule.
In addition, the data is stored locally and replicated in the cloud, ensuring full recovery of critical business information in case of disaster.
“The solution implemented, relying on the Barracuda Backup system, is extremely consistent, with an availability of nearly 100%, and it is very rare there are errors in the backup," explains Luis Rapoula.
To learn more about Barracuda Backup systems, or to request a free 30-day evaluation unit, please call us at XXXX, or visit fr.barracuda.com/backup.
Barracuda en quelques mots
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organisations worldwide, Barracuda Networks has developed a global reputation as the go-to leader for powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company’s proven customer-centric business model focuses on delivering highvalue, subscription-based IT solutions for security and storage. For additional information, please visit barracuda.com or follow us on Twitter@barracudaEMEA.
About Barracuda Backup
Barracuda delivers easy cloud-connected Backup. Barracuda Backup is the unified, cost-efficient data protection solution for your physical and virtual environments. Backup software, local storage, and remote storage are integrated into a solution that can be rapidly deployed in under an hour. Cloud-based central management enables seamless multisite administration, and rapid local or remote recovery prevents data loss, and also minimizes downtime. Barracuda Backup is a complete backup solution with remote storage that is easy to buy, install, and manage, all backed by our live 24/7 customer support experts.
Barracuda Backup Fast Facts
- Secures physical and virtual environments (VMware & Hyper-V)
- LiveBoot for VMware
- Deduplicated storage and fast replication
- Microsoft SQL, Exchange, Restore at the News Level
- VMware Snapshot and File Recovery
- Cloud Storage and/or Siteto-Site-Replication